European giants Real Madrid were handed a humiliating Copa del Rey last-32 defeat by third division outfit Alcoyano – who were down to 10 men.
Zinedine Zidane’s side took the lead through defender Eder Militao but Jose Solbes took the tie to extra time.
Alcoyano – who play in Segunda Division B – had Ramon Lopez sent off for a second booking but earned a famous win when Juanan stole in at the near post.
“I take responsibility and whatever has to happen will happen,” Zidane said.
Club legend Zidane has won three Champions League titles as a manager but is under pressure, with his side four points behind La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid – who have two games in hand.
Real are 19-time winners of the Copa del Rey, but have not lifted it for seven years and have only won it twice since 1993.
Incredibly, this is the fifth time a team from the third tier has eliminated them since 2001.
Real were without captain Sergio Ramos – who is out of contract this summer and could leave the club after 16 years – as Zidane made nine changes from the team who lost to Athletic Bilbao in the Super Cup.
But the team that finished against Alcoyano still contained Karim Benzema, Eden Hazard, Marcelo, Casemiro and Toni Kroos.
‘Zidane’s flower has withered forever’
The humiliating defeat saw Spanish media call Zidane’s future into question, with Tomas Roncero, editor-in-chief of newspaper AS, delivering a damning assessment.
“Madrid writes one of the most embarrassing pages in its history,” he said.
“Let 2021 end now. This is a nightmare. Zidane’s flower has withered forever.”
Marca simply said: “If he is saved from this, it is a miracle.”
The France legend himself was more pragmatic. Only six months ago, he won the title at the end of the first full season of his second spell as boss.
“The players have left everything on the field. We have had chances and when you don’t put it in, what happened to us can happen,” he said.
“I assume responsibility and we will continue working. We will not go crazy.
“I think the players are with me but you have to ask them, we have done good things in the season. We have to concentrate on that things can be done.”
- 16Sánchez VarelaBooked at 32minsSubstituted forCerdá Vicenteat 60′minutes
- 2FérrizBooked at 90mins
- 5González Valls
- 18CarbonellSubstituted forMoltoat 60′minutes
- 14RubioSubstituted forLopez Olivanat 72′minutesBooked at 110mins
- 6Ñíguez EsclapezSubstituted forDiakitéat 78′minutes
- 8CasanovaBooked at 34mins
- 12El GhezouaniSubstituted forAntonat 105′minutes
- 9Mejía RuizSubstituted forSolbesat 60′minutes
- 7Cerdá Vicente
- 11Lopez Olivan
- 13LuninBooked at 116mins
- 19OdriozolaBooked at 78minsSubstituted forE Hazardat 98′minutes
- 22IscoSubstituted forKroosat 98′minutes
- 24MarianoBooked at 58minsSubstituted forBenzemaat 67′minutes
- 20Vinícius JúniorSubstituted forAsensioat 90′minutes
- 7E Hazard
- José María Sánchez Martínez