In this new sixth dev diary Blake answers fan demands to show units while also showing off all city buildings and some small touch-ups to the city sky view for the Civilization 2 – Heroes of Might and Magic 2 Mod!
As a kid growing up in the 90s playing endless hours of Civ and HoMM Blake always wanted some sort of hybrid game that gave him the HoMM experience but in the Civ sandbox world. Games like Master of Magic and Age of Wonders 2 sort of granted that wish however Tom2050’s amazing HoMM3 mod for Civ3 mod has REALLY fulfilled that dream of a sandbox HoMM game. Blake was so inspired by the awesomeness of it that he wanted to try and make a Heroes of Might & Magic 2 Civilization 2 Mod to compliment it. Soon after this Blake discovered a talented Civ2 modder on the other side of the world called Metropolis had already started a similar project and the two of them got to work on finishing their dream!
Firstly I want to say apologies to everyone sitting around waiting. The delay in release is 100% Blake’s fault and not Metropolis’s, as I’ve been busy working on my Command & Conquer African Campaign Civ2 scenario remaster and Red Alert 2 Siege of New York Civ2 Scenario project these last few months. However that and my other projects are now pretty much almost at a nearly complete stage where I’m happy to step back from them and get back to finishing this one and releasing it!
So in the meantime there’s still a few new things that I can post about here.
I’ve had a few requests on various sites to post about units! So I thought I’d do up a diagram showing a breakdown of all the factions and their units!
Important things of note:
- HoMM2 has 6 faction slots and Civ2 has 7 slots, so Metro & I thought it would be fun to make the 7th Civ2 faction a HoMM2 neutral faction that controls many of the games neutral units (similar to the Conflux Elemental addon race in HoMM3). Sadly there are only 6 city graphic slots in Civ2MGE so they’ve been given Barbarian graphics.
- The neutral 7th faction’s units are not quite as strong as the 6 main faction’s units however they are playable for those that want an extra challenge.
- Heroes are special leader units that can work the land, colonise cities and even fight enemies themselves if needed due to having a number of special abilities. They’re no match for mid to late game units though so protect them!
- The rather fun HoMM2 styled fan game on PC & mobiles called Palm Kingdoms 2 has a number of alternative hero graphics (that match perfectly to HoMM2’s likely due to being repaints) we were able to use for the neutral faction (Saxon hero) and the uprising leaders (alt Barbarian hero).
- There are 6 unit tiers and each tier class has set attack and defense values across the 6 factions for balancing (as previously stated the 7th faction units are a bit weaker). However fear not, they do have a full variety of different special abilities giving each race unique advantages and disadvantages at different stages of the game. Some of these special abilities are as follows:
- Flying units (eg Roc, Griffin, Phoenix etc) treat all squares like alpine troops (1/3 move taken) making them faster than all other units on all terrain but weaker in attack if they’ve already moved (we debated over using actual Civ2 flying fighter & helicopter unit types but agreed it was more trouble than its worth).
- Fast moving 4 legged horse/beast non-flying units (eg Cavalry, Unicorn, Boar, Wolf, Centaur etc) get 2 moves instead of 1. So they’re not as fast as flying but they can still attack at full strength after moving, “charge!!!!”.
- Slow but sturdy strong units (eg Pikemen, Golem, Dwarf, Zombie etc) with have a 1.5x defensive ability against these fast charging units.
- Sadly Civ2 doesn’t support range attacks like later Civ games do however HoMM2 range units (eg Archer, Elves, Halfling etc) have been given a 2x sight radius to spot enemies.
- The only true Civ2 air units in the game are cruise & nuke missile slots which we’ve used for cool magic spells (eg Magic Arrow, Lightning bolt & Armageddon).
- So because of the above we can now give 2x air defense ability to units famous for magic resistance (eg Dragons) allowing them to survive longer against such attacks (if I can find all the game’s references to “Air” and replace with “Magic” I will!).
- All factions get access to a number of important shared units such a ships, siege, trade, diplomacy and magical attack units. Even with the best units in the game taking walled cities is not a walk in the park if you don’t use siege assistance and much like in original HoMM2 our flying units cannot cross the ocean without ships!
- Those with a keen eye will also notice several special fortress unit buildings (Dragon City, Xanadu, & City of the Dead). These are special event based buildings that spawn on the map at the start of the game and can summon dangerous creatures (eg ghosts & dragons) while offering great rewards if you can destroy them.
NOTE: The above configurations is WIP and may be subject to change after final beta testing is complete.
City Buildings Update:
I’ve also made some small changes to a couple of Metro’s awesome city sky view buildings. I’ve painted a side wall onto the city walls (not easy as it didn’t exist in HoMM2!) and made the walls longer (yes the perspective is still wrong but at least it blends in a little better than the original now). I’ve also reduced the sea platforms and added a boat unit image we didn’t end up using as a tip of the hat to when new ships appeared in the city screen in original HoMM2. Oh and I re-coloured all the splash effects to Civ2 water colours instead of HoMM2s.
And finally here’s a full list of our city building conversions. Metro likes having the original Civ2 building names bracketed in the titles to avoid confusion and I quite like it too as it’s nice for once not having to go to the civilopedia to see what a custom scenario building does haha. However if lots of people don’t like it and feel it breaks immersion then we can easily remove them. Nearly every building in the list is from HoMM2 castle screens and very few had to be made up which was good! 🙂