Tottenham, Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid have all been linked with Van de Beek
Last Updated: 09/05/20 10:16am
Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar has confirmed midfielder Donny van de Beek will be allowed to leave the club in the next transfer window but only for a suitable fee.
Tottenham, Manchester United, Barcelona and Real Madrid have all been linked with Van de Beek, who played a key role in Ajax reaching the Champions League semi-finals in 2019.
Ajax have already agreed to sell Hakim Ziyech to Chelsea in a £33.3m deal and Van der Sar insists the Dutch club are under no pressure to sell cheaply, despite the financial impact of coronavirus.
“Last year, we made verbal agreements with [Andre] Onana, [Nicolas] Tagliafico and Van de Beek to stay another season, and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers. Nothing has changed,” said Van der Sar.
“There won’t be a 50 per cent discount. The clubs can forget about that.”
Ajax made more than £140m in last summer’s transfer market after selling Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt to Barcelona and Juventus, respectively.
Van der Sar believes Ajax can continue to demand significant fees for players despite the current uncertainty over transfers.
“In January last year, people said we were going to lose seven or eight players but we lost only two key members,” Van der Sar added.
“The big clubs such as Bayern Munich have said the benchmark fee will go down in the next few transfer windows. But it’s easier for them to say because they are the buyers.
“Of course, the 150m-200m euros transfers are gone. But I think there is still a lot of value for players who come from Ajax.
“Well educated, experienced in winning and playing European football.”
Join Sky Bet Club and track your progress towards a £5 free Bet
Opt in and bet £25 or more before 23:59 on Sunday. Free bets credited by 7pm on Monday.