Former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright says he is “fighting this all the way” after being sent “humiliating” and “dehumanising” racist abuse on social media.
Wright, 56, tweeted a series of screengrabs of the offensive messages he received from a person on Instagram.
Wright told the No Signal radio station it was up to social media platforms to act because “you can’t let people get away with it”.
“It’s wrong in every way,” he said.
Match of the Day pundit Wright, who won 33 caps for England, initially said “these messages still hit me so hard”.
Speaking to No Signal later on Monday, he added: “There has to be some form of consequence.
“I’ve got a platform where I can reach people. This is happening to people on a daily basis where they can’t do what I did – that’s why I had to call this guy out.
“We’re dealing with people that need to hide. Platforms like Instagram and Twitter are where they can hide but, what they haven’t understood and what that guy will have realised today is, it’s not my platform – it’s everybody who has come in on him. Something has to be done.
“He was relentless with it as well.”
Wright, who has previously highlighted the role of social media as a vehicle for racism, added: “I don’t want this happening to my kids.
“I’m fighting this one all the way.”
Former Aston Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor was also sent an abusive and racist message on Instagram, and Kick It Out called for those who targeted him and Wright to be punished.
“We are appalled during this very trying time by the disgraceful abuse directed at Ian Wright and Gabriel Agbonlahor and their families,” a statement read.
Former Tottenham and England striker Darren Bent called the messages sent to Wright “disgusting” and a “disgrace”.
Bent added: “The sad thing is, is that this is an everyday occurrence, yet these idiots are allowed to daily become keyboard warriors and face no punishment.”