Wall Street climbs despite mounting jobless claims

Wall Street opened higher despite another 4.4m Americans filing for first-time unemployment benefits last week in the latest sign that Covid-19 lockdowns were taking a heavy toll on the US economy.

The S&P 500 added 0.9 per cent shortly after trading began in New York as investors looked past mounting unemployment in the US where 26m Americans have filed for jobless claims since the outbreak began in mid-March. 

The latest claims figures were broadly in line with expectations. 

“In spite of week 5 of employment Armageddon, markets continue to look beyond the economic damage that is being incurred,” said Ronald Temple, head of US equity at Lazard Asset Management. “Monetary and fiscal stimulus have put a floor under the economy, however the unprecedented disruption to business and household finances inflicted by Covid-19 will leave lasting scars even after testing, therapeutics and a vaccine are widely available.”

Wall Street was also buoyed by a rally in oil prices, which extended a steady recovery as renewed tensions in the Middle East and optimism over supply cuts offered some respite to a market battered by a collapse in crude demand due to coronavirus.

Oil has plunged to record lows in recent days on concerns that there is not enough global capacity to store the growing supply glut. Prices for the US benchmark turned negative for the first time on Monday, meaning producers were forced to pay buyers to take oil off their hands.

However, as trading began in New York on Thursday Brent crude built on the previous session’s gains, adding 9 per cent to $22.20 a barrel. That left the international benchmark $6 off its lows of the previous day, when it hit its weakest level since 1999. US marker West Texas Intermediate rose 22 per cent to $16.69 a barrel.

Analysts attributed the rise in part to Donald Trump readying US warships to attack any Iranian vessels in the Gulf if they posed a threat. The US president said in a tweet on Wednesday that he had “instructed the United States Navy to shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea”.

But with the market heavily oversupplied, Brent crude remains more than 20 per cent down this week and well off highs of $60 a barrel at the beginning of the year. Analysts warned that any lift in prices triggered by the president’s sabre-rattling could be shortlived.

“The idea of tensions in the Gulf sustainably pushing up prices is a little difficult to grasp at this stage,” said Paul Donovan, chief economist at UBS Global Wealth Management.

“In a world awash with oil and with global supply significantly exceeding global demand, President Trump’s aggressive attitude is not likely to change the fundamentals of the oil market in the near term.”

Crude output has remained robust despite a collapse in global demand of up to a third, which has left the market massively oversupplied and storage facilities on the brink of capacity.

There is, however, optimism that forthcoming production curbs will help to ease the oversupply. A record output cut of 9.7m barrels a day, or roughly 10 per cent of global supply, by Opec and its allies is set to take effect from May 1 — though market participants worry this is nowhere near enough to offset the collapse in consumption.

Analysts at JBC Energy said the latest gains in the oil price suggested the market anticipated further reductions could be on the way. But as global lockdowns suppress demand and inventories continue to build, there is growing pressure on producers to do more. Storage at the key US delivery point at Cushing, Oklahoma is just weeks away from filling up.

European stocks climbed higher, with the continent-wide Stoxx 600 index adding 0.7 per cent, while London’s FTSE 100 and Frankfurt’s Dax rose 0.3 per cent and 0.5 per cent, respectively.

Link to Original Story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *